Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The End of a Journey

Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailland


This will be my last update in the blog, as tomorrow my trip in Asia comes to an end.
Though I am very eager to get home, I have decided that before returning, I will pay a visit to my family in London for a couple of weeks.

I spent about a week on Haadrin beach (Kho Phangan). Unfortunately the weather was not very good and the beach there has been ruined, it's all clubs along the front and the beach is very littered.
I spent most of my time there watching films.
To be honest, I don't think I could have enjoyed anything too much at that point, my heart just wasn't there already, I just wanted to be in London and then home.

From Kho Phangan returned to Bangkok, my last long bus trip!! It took about 20 hours door to door. So glad those trips are behind me.
Though my trip to London will actually be a rather long one too. In order to save about 200 USD, I am flying via Sri-Lanka, and will have the great pleasure of spending 10 hours at Colombo airport. I think it will take me about 30 hours in all, but at least it's not a bus trip, a plane will be luxury in comparison.

Spent almost a week in Bangkok, I always enjoy my time here.
It was extremely hot and humid, and I don’t think that there has been a point in the last few days when I have not been sweating.
Spent most of my time shopping, one of my least favorite activities, but it had to be done. I’m sure I bought much less than most people do here; I don’t know how they get all their packages on the plane.
I am finally done with the shopping and am looking forward to being on my way tomorrow.

I am proud to tell you that the zip I reported I had sewn on my bag a few updates ago, is still there, my own abilities surprise me.
Maybe that should be the direction my career could take upon my return – I could go work in a sweat-shop sewing zips on bags and earn less than minimum wage.
I've been waiting my entire trip for some inspiration about what I will do when I get back, and it has finally come to me.

I want to retract something that I said in one of my updates – I said that Ben Elton was my new favorite author. Well, I have read 5 more books of his since, and my opinion of him has altered slightly. The books were good, but none of them as enjoyable as the first one I read ("Inconceivable"). The only one that was almost as good was "Dead Famous", which was rather funny.
So, though I think he is quite a good author, definitely not my favorite. I feel he tries too hard in his books to criticize society.

Apart from all the obvious, there are a few things that I am really looking forward to about going at home:
* Not needing to wear a money belt.
* Being able to sit on the toilet seat.
* Showering bare foot, not having to wear flip-flops.
* Not having to brush my teeth with mineral water.
* Not carrying all my worldly possessions on my back.
* Sleeping in my own bed.
* Having home-cooked meals.
* Not having cold showers.
* Not having to spend more than 5 consecutive hours in a vehicle.

So, this is it, we have come to the end. I want to thank all my readers who have stuck by me over the last six months; I hope you enjoyed reading the blog as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
Special thanks to Mum who never missed a comment.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey, some parts were better than others, but I wouldn't change any of it.
I have met some great people along the way, and I hope that I will keep contact with at least a few of them.
Paula – Having you join me for that time in India was brilliant, and I was sorry that you couldn’t stay longer.

I didn't need to travel for six months in order to discover that "there is no place like home", I knew that from the start and I am so happy to be going back.
No matter how much I will complain once I'm home (finding a job, finding a house, leading a regular life again), I know now, more than ever, that there is no where else I would rather be.

4 Comments:

At 01 March, 2006 19:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi darling, would you believe I am crying after reading your last posting. I have enjoyed every thing you have written and will miss going into my computer to see what you have to say. I cant believe you have been away for 6 months, sometimes its seems an eternity. I am so pleased that you feel that Israel is the only place you want to live, but glad you had the opportunity to do this trip. I will wait a little while then read everything once again. Hurry home, love you mummy cole xxxxxxx

 
At 01 March, 2006 23:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was just going to write that this blog will 100% make mum cry...
finally the end of your trip. i must say that the blog has defanatly made me so invovled in your trip, i fill like i was there with you.
but i do agree that it's time to come home and star supporting your baby sister- i do need the support :)
be ready that a lot of things change during the time you were away- i will explane when you'r in israel. but do come with an "open mind".
i can't believe im saying this in public but i did really miss you!!!
i can't wait for you to get back, i have so many things to tell you.
looking forward seeing you!!
tul

 
At 02 March, 2006 22:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sis,
To summerise such a blog is impossible, but it really made us feel a part of your trip, it was written superbly, with a nice touch of humor, and I must admit with a regularity I found surprising. Way to go!!!
We are so glad your coming back. Its hard to imagine that you left when Amit was just after his Brit, Bar was not even crawling and so much has happened.
Maybe you can keep writing the Blog when you get back...haha
Anyway it is sad the blog is over, but it was great while it lasted, and i agree...there is no place like home, so bang those silver shoes and get your butt back here already
Duv

 
At 03 March, 2006 16:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it would not be right to let you end your blog without an input from your cousin in England. Again, I'd like to reiterate what Natalie and Duv said... we joined you at every stage and luvved all that travel without the expence.
Its good to know that at least one Israeli Cole has the staying power to write regualr updates to their blog so that we know whats going on. Your brother could learn so much from you! :-)
Welcome to good ole' Blighty. Wrap up warm... its getting to -6C over night in London at the moment. Bloomin' freezing!
See you very soon!
Jeremy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home