Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sapa

Location: Hanoi
Country: Vietnam




I used my free day around Hanoi to do some sight seeing.
I went to the Ethnology museum, which was extremely impressive; I was kind of expecting something on the level of museums I had been accustomed to in India, but this was one proper museum.
It had displays about all the different minorities in Vietnam (apparently there are many), and they managed to keep me interested enough to walk round for about an hour (I have a very low tolerance for museums, so that is quite impressive, if I stayed for an hour it means that other people would be there for about 3).

I then visited the Ho Chi Min Museum, which again was very impressive; it was designed in a modern art fashion that was very interesting. Unfortunately, that was the only thing that was interesting about it, as they only bothered to put information and explanations up in Vietnamese, which I am not quite fluent in yet. So I spent a whole of about 7 minutes there.
Near the museum is the Ho Chi Min Mausoleum, and I could have got to see the man himself if only I had woken up early enough, it’s open only till like 10:00 in the morning, so I decided I don’t want to see him that badly.
After Ho Chi Min, I felt I had the energy in me for one more museum, so I went to the Hoa Lo Prison museum (AKA Hanoi Hilton).
The prison was first used by the French during colonial times to hold Vietnamese political prisoners, and later used by the Vietnamese to hold American prisoners of war.
It was quite interesting.
The really amusing part is that throughout the museum you are told about the terrible atrocities committed against the Vietnamese by the evil French colonialist who held them in the prison, and then when you come to the section about the American prisoners of war, you are told how well they were treated by the Vietnamese and are shown pictures of healthy and happy looking Americans. I think not…

That night I had a night train going to Sapa, was heading there for a 3-day trip.
Sapa is in the northwest of Vietnam near the Chinese border. It is a beautiful area with the most amazing scenery. Loads of green hills with rice terraces everywhere, valleys and streams and mist coming and going.
Most people go up there to do trekking, which needled to say I did not do. I chose the guide with a motorbike option.
(Note: The idea of auto rickshaws / tuk-tuks does not exist in Vietnam, so I have had to do many of my trips on the back of motorbikes, not really to my liking, but no choice in the matter. Mum – I am telling you this after the fact, so there is no point in worrying now).
We drove round a couple of days, mostly visiting minority villages. But the best part for me was just riding around looking at the amazing view.


As I mentioned, the weather was supposed to be freezing, but I was really lucky and it wasn’t that cold. There was still a need to have all my winter cloths on, but with them on it was warm enough, even had some sunshine.
I am glad to report that Sapa was well worth a visit.

Arrived back in Hanoi at 05:00 am this morning, and decided to update the blog whilst sitting around waiting for a room.
I have one day to spend here, which I will dedicate to sorting out some bits and pieces, and tomorrow I am off to Laos.
Thought the trip to Laos can be done by bus, I have decided to take a flight. The bus ride can take anywhere up to 30 hours and is said to be a total nightmare.

Some point to sum up my short visit in Vietnam.
* Vietnam is a very pleasant country to visit, very easy to travel in, locals quite nice, level of guesthouses is very good, but not many point of interest.
* The place I found most interesting were the Mekong Delta, the Cu Chi tunnels in Saigon, Halong Bay and Sapa. Basically all the middle of the county is not really worth seeing.
* If someone were to ask me whether to visit Vietnam as a primary destination, I would have to say no, but as a short visit on along trip it is OK, though not a must.
* I am glad that I came here as I have mentioned I have always wanted to see Vietnam, but I’m glad I did not dedicate too much time to it.
* The travelers here are very nice, met some interesting people along the way. The country seems to be swarmed with Ausis, must be a popular destination for them.
* The Frogs seem to have done a much better job here than the Brits did in India, their influence is still very much felt, the towns are filled with beautiful buildings and a nice atmosphere.
* I have been extremely lucky with the weather. Vietnam is notorious for it’s bad weather, and it is not uncommon to have days and days of rain. I basically have not suffered from the rain at all, and have not had it affect my plans in any way.
* Of course, the coolest part about my visit here is that I will now be able to start a sentence with “Back in Nam….”

3 Comments:

At 18 January, 2006 20:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again great reading your blog, so interesting will take your advice and leave vietnam off my places to visit. I hope after all this travelling you will be able to settle back in Israel. We have lots of beautiful places to see here too. Good thing I did not know about the motorbike rides!! Take care, love mummy cole

 
At 25 January, 2006 01:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so.."back in nam..." is not the greatest of places... thank god that you went there before me.
i rather you spend your money there than i will ;)
i'm so sorry that i don't read your blog that often now, it's just you write so often that i can't follow...
here "back in israel..." every thing is great. i babysitted for Barchok today and had the time of my life! he is helurios!!

i hope laos is a bit better, but not that better... we want you to come home already!! more birthdays are coming up, i can't handle that presure again!!! that is your job.and i watched every single dvd of your collection. i want you to buy new ones.
and i need a house to ascape to that hasn't got babies in it the whole time...

 
At 26 January, 2006 01:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just went into your site even though it's 22.30 on a Weds night, and realised just how much I had missed. No time now to go through it all but have promised myself that I'll do so in near future. Got a few things to tell you so don't go away. Speak to you soon. Lots of love, Pops.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home