Saturday, December 17, 2005

Civilization

Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand


Last few days in Mahabalipuram were not great, it was raining constantly and there is absolutely nothing to do there in bad weather.
It was lucky at least that Eric and I were together as we were able to entertain each other a bit (he is no master at cards, but was doing ok by the time I finished with him), but eventually we were climbing up the walls with boredom.
Also, after managing to get through 3 months in India with basically no stomach problems, it hit me in my last few days. I guess the gods of India just couldn't let me leave without that fine experiance.
It could be because of all the bad karma I had accumulated during my stay in India, all the many times I ignored beggars abruptly and the many times I expressed my utter hatred of the Indian people.
At least on our last day in Mahabalipuram it was nice and sunny and we could sit happily by the pool.
Side note - One of the days whilst sitting by the pool, one of the Indians decided that he wanted a coconut and climbed up a tree near us to get it, it was amazing to watch how he climbed up the tree so easily.


Eric left for England the night before me for a visit, hopefully he will be returning to the Far East and we may meet again.

Originally I was planning to get a train from Chennai to Bombay and get my flight from there to Bangkok. The train would have taken 27 hours, then I would have had to wait round Bombay for like 10 hours and then catch the night flight to Bangkok.
It didn't take me too long to decide that was way too much and I really did not fancy doing it. The big advantage of doing this trip at my age and not after the army, is that you can decide to spoil yourself from time to time.
So I booked a flight from Chennai to Bombay which took less than 2 hours, quite the difference.
I was informed the night before that my domestic flight was postponed by 2 hours, which had me stressing a little, as it only gave me about half an hour spare to catch my flight in Bombay, and I could be screwed if there were any delays.
In the end, there was a delay of another half an hour, and I arrived at the international airport in Bombay exactly 2.5 hours before my flight time.
Cutting it way too fine for my liking. Thought I guess it did work out for the best, as I did not have to hang round the airport for long.
On the 3.5 hour flight to Bangkok I had 3 seats to myself, which was lovely, I even managed to get some sleep.

I can't begin to describe the difference between landing in Delhi and landing in Bangkok.
Delhi airport looked like something built in the 50's that has never been renovated in any way, it was old, coming apart and utter chaos. As you walked out of the airport to find a cab (a totally disorganized procedure), you were welcomed by the site of hundreds of beggarss sleeping on the pavement.
Bangkok had a modern, clean and organized airport. Simple procedure for getting a cab and not a beggar to be seen.

At the airport I hooked up with an Israeli couple that were on my flight and got a cab with them to Khaosan road (the area where all the backpackers stay in Bangkok).

It was a bit of a hassle finding a guesthouse, everything was packed, I guess due to Christmas and New-Years that are coming up.
Eventually found myself staying in the main Israeli guesthouse. It is a little noisy, but a nice enough atmosphere.

I feel like a hillbilly who arrived in the big city, everything is so different to India. It's all so modern and expensive, and there are loads of tourist a night life.
They have all the big shops (they have a "Boots"!!) and restaurants (McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks etc.).
When you walk along at night, it all lit up with Vagas lights.

I was here about 7 years ago, I think it has changed quite a bit since then.
I'm walking around with a bit of dazed look on my face.
But I find travelers here are really nice, I've been spending my time playing card games and shesh-besh.
They also have TVs in all the restraunts showing films, so I am also catching up on some much needed TV time.
I still have not decide what I am doing next, I will give myself some time to adjust to the fact that I am now in Thailand and no longer India and then decide which way I am heading.

3 Comments:

At 20 December, 2005 04:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi welcome to the real world or maybe not! You will soon find yourself and decide which direction to take. Have fun trying to decide and which ever way you take will be the best one I am sure. Love you mummy cole

 
At 22 December, 2005 15:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there cousin,
Glad to hear you are doing so well, despite being without Paula.
I have a couple of friends in Thailand for Xmas and New Year, so just expect mayhem. Avoid drunk brits on the pull, thats my main advice.
I also just wanted to say hello and wish you a happy chanukah and a great new year. Thinking of you,
Jeremy

 
At 23 December, 2005 14:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Happy chanukah and Happy new year.

From the Dutch team.


Yosefa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home